Sunday, May 25, 2008

G.A.P

Read very interesting thoughts about rift between generations by Douglas Adams. The pithiness of the observations amused me. Quoting them below:

1. Everything that already exists in the world when you are born is just normal

2. Everything that gets invented between then and before you turn thirty is incredibly exciting and creative and with any luck you can make a career out of it.

3. Anything that gets invented after you are thirty is against the natural order of things and beginning of the end of civilization, as we know around for last 10 years, when it gradually turns out to be alright really.

This elegantly sums up the possible reason for friction amongst generations. I can recall instances highlighting this generation gap in my life as well. My dad is an aficionado of all the items in perfumeries. He doesn't like to compromise on the "quality" of these. The newly introduced fragrance for one of his favorite soaps was enough to put him off. He thought buying that soap was a complete waste of money and using it was simply impossible. He asked for my opinion also and I, wanting to avoid argument at that time, immediately agreed with him. Later in the evening, I overheard my sister and cousin's discussion. They were enthusiastically chatting about this "new version" of soap and how it was a lot better than the older one. They asked my opinion about it. The same soap..!! This 180-degree alignment in choices of 2 generation completely baffles me. This holds good for everything clothes, perfumes, watches.. Oh yes ! When I bought a new trendy, cool (according to me) fastrack watch and had shown it to my dad, he said, "You are such a fool. The dial doesn't even have any numbers. What a waste of money!” Continuing with list it goes TV programs, Music, movies, Sports, Picnic spots, hairstyles just everything under the sun!

Then the famous "hamare jamane mein..." and all that follows. I am sure with some twenty years of time I will be saying similar things. This thought terrifies me ! It is of course true that our elders having more "experience" at life than us can foresee a lot of things that we are unaware of. My mom has interesting one liner for this in Hindi. It is useful in a way that it can be quoted in appropriate places such as when we don't listen to her .. ;-) It goes like " Jo naa maane badoon ki seekh le katora maange bheekh" :-) :-) she only uses half of this quote. The rest is implied.

I was just thinking, what is time frame defining a generation gap? I mean is there a "global standard" for it? I read somewhere it is 25 years. But sometimes I find this gap between me and my sister with only 6 years difference. Oh wait..it can't be true that I m turning old faster than her...No..!! Help..Please..!!

10 comments:

आल्हाद said...

I don't see it that seriously..
I mean I do face such situation where I feel myself, kinda AAJOBA :))
Why don't you compare your grandfathers with father..??
I am sure they must have even more weird comments over the watch than your father...even for your father's watch..!!
Its just that they never had this kind of stuff in their times so its the normal tendency to defend what you like and on the contrary your sister has got all this in a very early age so she has more choices to rely upon.
Moreover she was talking to you not your father...and you said "yes" just to avoid typical
"आजकालची पिढी म्हणजे....@@%!!*^$$*#" conversation (one sided :D)
I can understand your situation pretty well...pure SANDWICH nothing else :)) )
Btw even I would have felt the same as your father said...bcoz for me (& I guess for him as well) watches are for showing time..whats the point if it doesn't have proper digits on it...!!!
don't mind.. (still you can gift me a good fasttrak watch on my B'day off course with digits on it :P)
Keep in mind :
"मान्य आहे की मोठ्यांनी जास्त पावसाळे पाहिले आहेत पण आपण बघितलेल्या पावसाळ्यात पाउस पडलाच नाहीये असं नाही " :D
-- संत आल्हादराव

and one more thing if you are really thinking that you getting older...then...
.
.
then I must ask your father to start searching for the Javaibaapu...
u need him badly :)))

keep posting...
mastay ekdam..

Anonymous said...

this is so true. :)

My parents were so apprehensive of the concept of a cell phone three years ago, that when I bought my mobile, I never told them. It was only much later that my Dad bought one for himself.

that is just one example,.. small things: when living on your own, you tend to experiment with things you buy, the food you eat etc. But it's difficult to convince my parents of the benefits of anything. Liquid soap (!), *proper* chinese food, clothes, internet railway ticket booking....

Anonymous said...

Right, by clothes I meant "fashion" .. and not all clothes. :P

Hermione said...

Arnold : Nice to see u here.Thnx for dropping by..wat u say is rht.. to convince about "fashion" is very tough indeed.. !! I can understand.. :-)

Aalhad : I m not sure which side u support.. :-)he he he

आल्हाद said...

hahaha...
even I am not sure which side I am.. :)
the thing is though I feel bad whenever elders say about this GAP an all, but then I think they have seen this world more than myself so what's d point in ignoring them.
Its not that bad to obey them sometimes.May be someday they will learn our side also on their own.

more importantly : if u r giving me fasttrak...I am always there wid u :D

Shreyas! said...

Hey Nice Blog roll...
Surely I also feel the same bout the gen. gap...

Keep Posting...

Tejaswini Shenoy said...

I know exactly what you mean when you say... 'Everything is so expensive these days... Humaare Zamaane mein' My grandfather sometimes starts with... Humaare zamaane mein ek aane mein 4 kilo rice aata tha... Then he proceeds with a lot of other comparisons... Then my mom silently points out everything was different including salary, standard of living, what is now considered as a bare minimum for survival to be considered beyond luxury then... My grandfather to be honest is quite liberated in his thinking and quickly realises the flaw in his line of thinking and agrees with mom...

Getting my mom to learn to e-mail has been one of the most scary projects to date... she always finds I go too fast when explaining.. she'd never try anything by herself... if i am lucky, I might just get her to use chat.. that is if I save her e-mail ID and password in the chat window...

Tejaswini Shenoy said...

Hey there... Nice to meet you again... I read your blog... It is really good... Howz your sister BTW... What does she do? Wrote this as a separate post in case you plan to delete it...

Amy said...

Hey!! I dont agree with your last statement... You are not getting old.!! Even I experience this GAP between my sis and me.. its just 5 yrs of age difference but the differences in our thoughts is huge..!! Really!![:)] But I dont think I am getting old,..[:o] But yes,.. these days the generation GAP is diminishing.. literally.. [:)] Even 5 yrs is too big a period.. I think one of the reasons for this is the kind of early exposure today's kiddies are getting.. what do you say??

Shreyas! said...

Hey khup diwas zalet no posts?
Hws new office??
Do write back if possible...